- So you want to be a Programmer - Leo Laporte (techtv) says skip Visual Basic and Visual C++, they're Windows only. He'd send you straight to perl.org and python.org. Both are fun languages that work on the major operating systems. - What do you think?
- Progressive Web Apps | Web | Google Developers
- Gallery: 15 books that every programmer should read - TechRepublic
- The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas | The Pragmatic Bookshelf
- The Art of Computer Programming -Knuth
- Advanced Common Sense - Don't Make Me Think
- Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming
- The Mythical Man-Month - Brooks
- Code Complete - McConnell
- Cracking the Coding Interview
- Soft Skills - Sonmez
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Pirsig
- Clean Code: Robert C. Martin - IT eBooks - or - Clean Code : Robert C. Martin : 9780132350884
- Continuous Delivery - Humble,Farley
- Working Effectively with Legacy Code - Feathers
- Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software - Petzold
- Programming Pearls - Bentley
- Introduction to Algorithms | The MIT Press - Cormen et al
- GoodCall Guide: How to Teach Yourself to Code - Thanks to Michelle Billick for recommending this site.
- Tag Clouds ...
- The Best Apps and Services for Learning to Code | PCMag.com
- 7 Blogs You Should Really Read If You Are A Student Programmer
- TIOBE Software: Tiobe Index - The TIOBE Programming Community index is an indicator of the popularity of programming languages. The index is updated once a month. The ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers worldwide, courses and third-party vendors.
- Why Python is likely to pass Java in popularity - TechRepublic
- Python is somewhat similar to Java in its generalist approach, yet easier to use. Python, in short, is a great tool for those who have time to learn one language well, and hope to apply it broadly.
- Which are the most important programming languages to learn? Developers reveal their top five - TechRepublic
- COBOL - a niche language - "If you want a high-paid job for life, you just need to learn COBOL"
- Want more money and job satisfaction? These are the skills you need - TechRepublic
- Best programming languages to learn on your own time - TechRepublic
- 7 programming languages on the rise | Developer World - InfoWorld
- TNW = The Next Web
- AnalogX - Free software downloads, audio tools, internet utilities, DirectX plugins, original music, MIDI software, MP3 search engine, and much more!
- Art & Science of Web Design by Jeffrey Veen
- Builder Buzz - Solutions for Site Builders
- C, C++, C#, Objective-C, etc.
- ComponentSource - The Definitive Source of Software Components
- Cobol...CodeProject - Your Development Resource
- CodeProject - Your Development Resource
- CoolTool (Daily tip about development tools)
- Database Topics...
- Developer.com: Internet Technology
- Dev Shed - Open Source Web Development Tutorials :: Dev Shed
- DevSource - Sponsored by Microsoft
- DevX:The leading online information service for Visual Basic, Java, C++, Enterprise, and Internet developers
- Dr. Dobb's | Good stuff for serious developers: Programming Tools, Code, C++, Java, HTML5, Cloud, Mobile, Testing
- Editors / Programming Environments...
- Edward's Internet Workskhops
- ExtremeTech - Deep technology content for the IT community
- Flash Kit, A Flash Developer Resource
- For Developers Only - Microsoft
- Funduc Software (Search&Replace, HexView, etc.)
- Google Code - Google's Developer Network
- Helpers & Viewers...
- Hunting Ground (scripting, JS & CSS & etc.) - Thanks to Jameson for recommending this site.
- InfoWorld - Business technology, IT news, product reviews and enterprise IT strategies
Developer World Channel - InfoWorld
- InstallShield ($195), Fully Functional Evaluation Copy
- Instruction on the Internet ...
- Internet Advisor Magazine
- irt.org - Internet Related Technologies
- ITworld | IT news, technology analysis and how-to resources
- Java ...
- Mathtools.net: The technical computing portal for all your scientific and engineering needs.
- Microsoft Developer Network
- Plug-Ins & Helper Applications...
- Programmer's Paradise - Programmers Web Site Development Software Application, Visual Studio .Net - Programmers.com
- Regular Expressions Resource Center
- Swynk.com: SQL Server, SMS, Exchange, Microsoft, BackOffice, IIS, FAQs
- Tag Clouds ...
- Tanguay.info - Web Development, Language Learning and Teaching, Reading Club, Seven Habits, Berlin, Parenting
- Tek-Tips Forums - Support for Computer Professionals
- Visual Basic Topics ...
- W3Schools Online Web Tutorials - $0
- Web Developer's Virtual Library: Encyclopedia of Web Design Tutorials, Articles and Discussions
- Webmonkey: The Web Developer's Resource
- Website Wisdom - The Complete Webmasters Resource Centre
Whitespace is important for all types of programming.
There are many common ways of laying out the code, but my preference is to use one line per element.
All structures should be indented by a tab of three (3) spaces. (You should set the preferences in your editor.)
Three or four spaces are enough for each tab. (You should set the preferences in your editor.)
Add blank lines between structures.
The browser's interpreter ignores whitespace.
Whitespace makes it easier to read and to debug your programs.