Hosting Services Topics
Hosting / Web Redirection / Virtual Web Hosting / URL Rewrite / Domain forwarding / Domain pointing / etc...
Comparison of Hosts
- Who Is Hosting This .com | Web Hosting Search Tool, Reviews & More at WhoIsHostingThis.com
- W3bin.com - Who is hosting that website?
- Who Is Hosting The Top 100,000 Websites - Infographic - 2013-10-25 - (MS-Excel.XLSX 24MB - Warning! This is a huge file.)
- 1 Dollar Hosting
1&1 Internet Inc. - Web Hosting Services and Domain Name Registration
- 1st Host Web
- A2 Web Hosting
- AIT or AIT-HOSTING
- Angelfire (Lycos) - $0
- Arvixe Web Hosting Review | PCMag
- A Small Orange
- AtlantaVirtual.com :: Web Hosting - 800 number not good from Canada, 770-463-4881, fast connection
- Jim Bussey email@example.com - No 800 telephone
- Setup fee for each domain??, Setup fee for each third-level domain?? - $22 + $7/per domain name (25MB)
- No subdomain hosting - They own zalhost.com - Guaranteed one-hour callback
- Canaca-com - No 24/7 tech support (i.e. They may call you back.)
- CanReg.com - Canadian Domain Name Registration - register your domain here - CIRA Certified
- Catalog.com offers domain registration, free web hosting, dedicated hosting, online catalogs, web site builder, and advanced web hosting.
- Dell Host - Too expensive
- DeZine's Web Hosting
- Doteasy.com - Bannerless Free Web Hosting for Individuals & Small Businesses - (20MB of Web server space, 10 e-mailboxes or unlimited forwarding addresses)
DreamHost Web Hosting
- EarthLink Internet Services
- Editors ...
Enterprise Digital -This is a known dangerous website. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on this site.
- Fasthosts - Reseller Hosting - Web Hosting - advertised in informatinweek.com 2009-02-02 - Looks amazing! US$50/month
- FortuneCity - see Dotster.com
FeaturePrice Web hosting - Hosting-Network, Inc.,
- FreeHomePage.com | Free Web Hosting and Email | Webmaster Tools ans Services - (slow and spotty service, only a single e-mail address and a mere 15MB of Web site space, unreliable)
- FreeHostingWeb.com - Web Hosting - No Monthly Fees! - (unlimited number of e-mailboxes; support for FrontPage extensions, scripting, and database development; a chat room; a shopping cart; password protection for directories)
- FreeWebHost.com - (5MB $2.50/month)
GetDomain.com (see GetHosting.com)
Warning!! - I cannot recommend CADVision/GetHosting because of a serious problem. Their redirection service makes Domain Names case sensitive. This is totally unacceptable. The problem is that CADVision is either unwilling or unable to rewrite its redirection script(s) (Apache Web Serve). Wait until CADVision fixes this problem before you get a redirection account from GetHosting. If someone wants to visit your site (and if your redirection is hosted by CADVision) and that person uses any uppercase character in the Domain Name, he will be redirected to a CADVision advertisement page. This is totally unacceptable. (Note that although DNS is always case insensitive, URLs are always case sensitive in Linux/UNIX.)
- see TELUS
- GlobalHost Website Hosting & Business Telecom -
- I am not yet recommending this company. I received their address in a spam message (NOT good!). Let me know if you have any experience with this company.
- GreenGeeks: Web Hosting Canada
HostForWeb.COM - Full Featured Web Hosting
- Tech support 888-7-MyHost = 888-769-4678
- H4W Domains - buy a domain name
- But, if you already have a HostForWeb account, don't use hfwdomains.com to buy a domain name.
You can register a new domain through hostforweb.com's client area. Just log into https://billing.hostforweb.com , select "Order" on the right hand side of the screen, select "Choose Another Category", then "Register Domain".
This option is really hard to find. It is in tiny print under one of the headings.
- DNS - to manage DNS on HFW - Don't go directly to hfwdomains.com - You will end up at the same place.
- SSL Certificates, Secure Socket Layer - HostForWeb Inc - Comodo - from $119/year for unlimited domains
- "The SSL warning is normal since your server is using a self-signed SSL certificate. The certificate can be accepted/added and will not display again unless cleared from your browser. To eliminate the errors, an SSL would need to be purchased for your server's hostname or completely disabled. The only benefit of purchasing a SSL for the hostname is to eliminate the warning message, self-signed SSL certificates are just as secure." HFW Support
- With only a self-signed SSL certificate:
- Automatic redirection to a secure port. The address bar turns red.
- Click on "Certificate error" message in the address bar.
- Click "View certificates".
- In the General tab, click on the "Install Certificate" button.
- Select the radio button for "Place all certificates in the following store".
- Certificate store: (Browse button) "Trusted Root Certification Authorities"
- MSIE will now go automatically to the site, but there is still a message "The security token is missing from your request." and the address bar remains red and keeps the error message "Certificate error".
- HostForWeb, Inc - Addons
- Start > cmd > mmc > File (menu) > Add/Remove Snap-in > (double-click on) Certificates > My user account > Finish > OK > File (menu) > Save
- see also: SSL Security certificates
- FTP requires a "Time offset in hours"=1 (Chicago, IL)
- HTML Editor
- cPanel price change - starting 2019-11-15
- All VPS and Cloud Servers:
cPanel Admin license (upto 5 accounts) – FREE;
cPanel Pro license (upto 30 accounts) – $5/mo;
cPanel Plus license (upto 50 accounts) - $10/mo;
cPanel Premier license (upto 100 accounts, $0.10 additional account) - $20/mo
While for most clients this price change does result in a licensing cost increase for their service, it is very important to note that this price increase has come from cPanel directly and not from us.
What are my options?
This announcement from cPanel is a big change and will affect everyone differently. In most cases, hosting providers are evaluating their increased licensing costs and adjusting their pricing to end-users as needed due to their increased cost in providing service. It is important to note that there are other control panel alternatives, like InterWorx, that offer similar functionality to cPanel with no price increase and without limit to number of accounts. To help our customers as much as possible, we are offering free migration assistance for any customer who wishes to switch over to an alternative control panel system.
- HOSTGATOR WEB HOSTING - cPanel, Reseller, and Dedicated Website Hosting - recommended by SitePoint.com
- hosting.ca - Canada Hosting Inc.
- hosting.com - (US$10/month for each additional domain name on your server.)
hosting-network.com = FeaturePrice.com - NOT recommended
- Hostway - The Hosting Company - $16 - 800-397-2449
- HTML.com - A very strange website. Try scrolling down the page, even if it doesn't seem possible. Really stupid user-vicious programming. What were they thinking?
- Infinet Communications
- Infinology Managed Business Hosting Corporation 888-667-3467 - Rated #1 by CNet and other hosting guides
- InMotion Hosting - $3.00/mo and up for personal/cheap hosting - $5.95/mo and up for business class hosting - $39.95/mo for VPS hosting (includes cPanel)
- Insider Hosting.com
Interland.com = web.com
- iPage | Web Hosting, Unix Hosting, E-Mail, Web Design
- Includes: SimpleScripts, WordPress, Weebly (limited to 6 pages)
- iPage Web Hosting - Essential Plan -
$1/month=$12/year - Now "On Sale" for only $2/month=$24/yr" with renewal at CA$9/month=$CA$108/year
- Build Your Website with a Free Domain Name | iPage Web Hosting
- iPage has only one hosting plan - (There is no Pro Hosting Plan)
- *The promotional price is for the first year of service only and
renews at the regular rate.
Note: "If you register a free domain through us and wish to cancel your monthly account, there is a non-refundable $15 domain fee if you would like to keep your domain."
- Dedicated Hosting Plan ($120/month or $152/month or $192/month)
Billing Warning: Check your credit card charges. iPage has a bad habit of adding other charges for products you didn't know you ordered. You can request a refund.
- Site creation & editing
- WebSite Creator by CM4all - (Basic=$0) (Limited Edition=$4.95/month) (Premium=$9.95/month=$119.88/year) (E-Commerce=$14.95/month)
- One (Website Creator by CM4all - Limited Edition) purchase credit is available Free in your hosting plan.
- Basic CM4all Site
limit of only 9 pages - (included in the iPage Essential Hosting Plan)
- The Premium plan ($120/year) is required if you want to do a serious website.
- Site Builder (Weebly Basic) limit of
only 6 pages
- (Basic=included in the iPage Essential Hosting Plan; Premium=$120/year)
- It seems to be a better deal if you just sign up at weebly.com and forget about iPage.
- The Premium plan ($120/year) is required if you want to do a serious website.
- Using WordPress with the SimpleScripts interface you can upload any number of files. WordPress is just a blog, not a Website.
- By default, FileManager will open HTML files in a plain-text editor. Alternatively, you may turn on the use of TinyMCE, a richtext editor for HTML files.
- You can upload unlimited files via FTP or FileManager.
- IX WebHosting - (by the previous and original owner of FeaturePrice.com)
- September 2006
- Lightningservers doesn't answer e-mails
- Lightningservers' telephone numbers don't work or are redirected to some mysterious private residence.
- Has Lightningservers gone bankrupt? Is Lightningservers about to close shop?
- Lightningservers has not provided any information to its customers.
- I can not, at the present time, recommend Lightningservers.
- Liquid Web - Managed Hosting & Custom Solutions
- Lunarpages 1-877-LUNARPAGES 714-521-8150 7h-17h PST
- myhosting.com: Web Hosting Solutions
- MySite - Free Web Space and Site Hosting - NetZero
- Net@ddress Messaging Center (US$40/year)
- Netfirms, free web hosting for small business
- NetWin (News, Mail, FTP server software)
- Network Solutions - the home page for domain names, including .biz and .info | Network Solutions
- No-IP.com ------------
- Omnis.com - Advertised by ZDNet
- Pittsburgh PA, 412-381-7274
- Phone support is currently only available to Advanced and higher level accounts holders. (not toll-free)
- Multiple domains hosted on an account don't get individual account resources. They share the resources of the account. Additional virtual domains would be mapped to sub-directories of the web directory for the account.
- PowerWeb Hosting
- powerhoster.com provide web hosting: 80MB - $2.99/mo and domain registration: $7.1/yr (CDN)
- PrimeHost.ca - Toronto Web Hosting Canada - Canadian Web Hosting
- Rackspace Hosting - Dedicated Server, Managed Hosting, Web Hosting by Rackspace Hosting - $$$
- Register.com - valueweb.com 800-934-6788
- Sibername.com - Canadian Domain Name Registration Web Site Hosting (CDN)
- No 800 telephone support (613)828-6437
- 24/7 online help desk
- SiteGround - recommended by Sitepoint
- Squarespace - Build a Website - from US$16/month
TELUS (too expensive!)
- Tripod / Lycos
- VeriSign - DNS hosting - Unlimited Web forwarding. Unlimited Email fowarding. Free Web parking. Third-level domain creation.
- Web Click Hosting - (FreeWebHost)
- This is one of the hosts I once used.
- There were some problems (listed below), so I moved to FeaturePrice.com.
- I was a little disappointed that the WebMail feature does not have folders for organizing and storing messages.
- There is no 800-number technical support, so you have to call California. Very expensive!!
- Technical support doesn't answer the telephone or e-mails evenings or weekends.
- They will not warn you when your account or domain name come up for renewal. They just send a message telling you your account has been closed until you have paid up. This made me really angry, and so I moved to FeaturePrice.com (a big mistake!)
- Webfusion | Web site hosting and domain hosting - recommended by SitePoint.com
- WebServe Canada Vancouver BC - No 24/7 tech support (i.e. They may call you back.) - Just a call center after regular business hours. - Linux cPanel
- 813-837-8000 since 1994 Tampa FL, NetTunerCorp - 877-565-5555
- Weebly - see Editors.htm ...
- WIX | Pricing Information, Coupons and Premium Upgrades | WIX - $0/$49/$99/$149/$194/$299/year
- WordPress ...
Questions / What to look for in a host
- Multiple Domain Management = Multiple Websites = Multiple Domain Support = Multi Domain plan
- Multi-hosted domain = Virtual domains = just subdirectories of the primary/main domain
- Domain Aliasing = Domain pointing = point multiple domain names to the same site
- Vanity domain = Subdomain
- Kinds of Web Hosting
- Shared Virtual Hosting = virtual hosting = budget hosting
- Budget Web Hosting
- Reseller Web Hosting
- VPS = Virtual Private&dedicated Server
Only one IP address, but the domains are totally independent (not shared)
- VDS = Virtual Dedicated Server
Only one IP address, but all domains are visible as subdirectories of the main domain (e.g. Jumpline.com)
- VMS = Virtual Managed Server
- Dedicated Server Hosting = you rent an entire server
Colocated Server Hosting = you own the server, and they simply provide maintenance for it
- Different Types of Web Hosting Explained (Shared, VPS, Dedicated)
- How long have they been in business? (at least five years)
- Technical Support
- 24*7*365 = always there to help you
- or just business hours 8h00-17h00 EST, Monday to Friday (this is not good)
- or just a call centre after 8h00-17h00 EST, Monday to Friday (this is not good)
- 800/888/etc (i.e. no long distance charges)
- Tech chat & Tech forums
- Tech support tickets (online support) - What is their average response time
- Disk space - 100MB, 500MB, 2GB, 5GB, etc.
- Data transfer limit (bandwidth)
- Linux / Windows
- Setup fee & Transfer fee ($0)
- Number of free third level subdomains (e.g. xxxx.theNameOfMyVeryOwnPersonalDomain.com)
- canonical domain names are also called cnames or subdomains or aliases
- Number of e-mail accounts per domain
- Number of FTP accounts per domain
- Number of domain names - 1, 2, 5, 15, unlimited
- Shared hosting (= virtual hosting), VDS/VPS
- Number of free Parked domains
- Number of free Forwarded domains (= domain name pointers)
- avoid NeoMail (can't view HTML messages)
- Although OpenWebMail is based on NeoMail, it seems much better
- Horde is acceptable, but not great
- Squirrel is ok.
- cgi-bin / Perl / PHP / MySQL / e-commerce shopping cart
- Control Panel
- CPanel/WHM, Plesk, VZPP (Virtuozzo Power Panels), Can you switch among the control panels?
- Fast Connection Times - fiber optic T3 lines (DS-3) with redundant backbone connections
- How many servers do they have? Do they manage their own servers?
- Money-back guarantee (30 days)
- One free year added to your domain name each year