Five Technologies to Make Sure Your Data Lives Forever
- See also -- Backup ...
- See also -- Clone/Cloning ...
- See also -- Utilities / Tools ...
- See also -- Windows Topics ...
- Cloud Storage = On-line virtual disk space = Cloud Storage
- PC = Personal Computer info
- CrystalDiskInfo - Crystal Dew World
- How to Check Your Hard Drive's Health | PCMag
- How to revive your old computer
- The Problem with Big Hard Drives | PCMag
- Up to and including Windows XP
32-bit (using 32-bit block addressing)
(MBR = Master Boot Record)
- Big = more than 2.19TB = 232 logical blocks of 512 bytes =
2,199,023,255,552 bytes = 2.2*1012 = 2.19TB
- Newer OSs (using 64-bit block addressing)
(GPT = GUID Partition Table) or (EFI)
- Logical blocs of 4KB = logical blocks of 4096 bytes
- Big = more than
= 9.4 trillion gigabytes = 264 logical blocks of 4096 bytes = 9.4ZB = 9.4*1021 = 9,400,000,000,000TB
- Thrashing disk drive - Does your hard drive start working like crazy for no apparent reason when you aren't even using it? - Disk Thrashing
- CD & DVD burning
- Diskette label remover
- LPS solvent / Label-off
- The Best Storage Mediums of All Time - ExtremeTech
- The Worst Storage Mediums of All Time - ExtremeTech
- Disk Drives
- SSD = Solid State Disk Drive
- The hard drive is dead; long live solid-state storage - The right to repair @ AskWoody (subscription)
- Crucial (aka Micron)
- Intel (SSD interests sold to SK Hynix)
- Kioxia (spun off from Toshiba)
- SK Hynix (part of the South Korean chaebol SK Group)
- WD = Western Digital and its subsidiary SanDisk.
- HGST is a now-discontinued Western Digitial sub-brand.
- Acer, Blixem, Fanxiang, Fledging, FYUU, GIGABYTE, Inland, KingSpec, Kingston, Leven, ORICO, PNY, Sabrent, Silicon Power, TEAMGROUP, Timetec, and on and on.
- Hard Drive Reliability | ExtremeTech
- HGST goes all in on helium drives | ZDNet - 2015-03-18
- Helium drives don't need a breather hole to equalize pressure between the interior of a drive and the ambient air pressure. On air-drives the ambient air moves through a filter, but no filter is perfect. Helium drives are sealed at the factory so there's no way external contaminants can enter the drive. With lower running temps and a sealed enclosure, HGST expects to see significantly improved reliability.
- WD = Western Digital
- Breaking through the storage barrier: Researchers create 5D disc with 360 TB capacity | ZDNet - 2016-02-18
- Intel Optane drives | Intel’s Reinvention of the Hard Drive Could Make All Kinds of Computers Faster - 2015-08-15
- Who makes the most reliable hard drives? (updated) | ExtremeTech - 2015-04-10
- NVM = Non-Volatile Memory
- NAS = Network-attached storage
- PCIe SSD HHHL
- ioSafe - Internal and External Hard Drives and Network Storage (NAS) Solutions | Fireproof | Waterproof
- Are RAM Drives Faster Than SSDs? 5 Things You Must Know
- SSD = Solid State Disk Drives - (SLC, MLC, TLC, QLC)
- See also -- Backup & Clone/Cloning ...
- See also: NVM - (NAND, etc.)
- SLC = single-level cell, where each NAND cell stores just a single bit of data. (2D NAND = Planar NAND) = $$$$
- eMLC = enterprise MLC
- MLC = multi-level cell, where each NAND cell stores two bits. (Both 2D and 3D NAND come in MLC.) = $$$
- TLC = three-level-cell, where each NAND cell stores three bits — but possibly at the expense of reduced durability. = $$
- QLC = four-level-cell = $
- Best SSD
- Utilities for SSD
- Samsung Is the Latest SSD Manufacturer Caught Cheating Its Customers - ExtremeTech
- Neo Semiconductor Claims It Can Deliver QLC Density, SLC Performance - ExtremeTech
- In NAND storage, density, durability, and performance form the three points of the typical "iron triangle" that companies attempt to optimize. It's a classic case of a "You can have any two of these three features" scenario. We can build very durable NAND with incredible performance and low density (single-level cell, abbreviated SLC) or NAND with excellent density and low durability and performance (quad-level cell, abbreviated QLC). Companies are now exploring penta-level cell (PLC) NAND, but it's still not clear if such designs are commercially viable.
- Windows 10 to Start Warning Users of Imminent SSD Failure | PCMag
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20226 - Settings > System > Storage > Manage disks and volumes > Properties (where the Drive Health information is located).
- How Do SSDs Work? - ExtremeTech
- SSD vs. HDD: What's the Difference? - YouTube
- SSD Life Expectancy - YouTube
- SSD Optimization Tips for Windows 10 You May Want to Know
- Solid State Drive (SSD) Tweaks for Windows 7
- UserBenchmark | Best SSD
- SSD reliability in the real world: Google's experience | ZDNet - 2016-02-25
- The SSD is less likely (than a HDD) to fail during its normal life, but more likely to lose data.
- MLC drives are as reliable as the more costly SLC "enteprise" drives.
- CyberTrend.com | Why It May Be Time To Move To Flash
- ExtremeTech explains: How do SSDs work? | ExtremeTech
- The best SSDs of 2014: A buyers guide | ExtremeTech - 2014-10-15
- What you need to know about today's SSDs | Data Explosion - InfoWorld - 2013-10-22
- Enable or Disable TRIM Support for Solid State Drives in Windows 10 | Tutorials
- SSD White Paper | Samsung SSD - SMART Attributes - 2015 Archive.org
- SSD Reliability: Can You Really Rely on Your SSD?
- SSD form factor is the size of SSD.
- Standard form factors (3.5", 2.5", 1.8") for direct replacement of traditional HDD,
- Standard card form factor (mSATA and M.2) for use in space-constraint applications like Ultrabook or tablet, and
- PCIe card form factor adopted by enthusiast- and enterprise-class SSD solution.
RAID / Synchronization / Backups / Cloning ...
Wipe your disk ...
Virtual Storage = Cloud Storage (on-line virtual disk space)
- Solution: Archive-quality optical disks
- CD - Conventional CDs are a terrible way to store data
- BD - Based on tests, manufacturers claim lifespans in the 1-3 century range. For maximum data density, you can pick up archival Blue Rays for about 2.5 gigabytes per dollar, with a projected lifespan of 200 years. Accelerated aging tests aren’t a sure thing, but it’s probably safe to count on them for a century or so. As a bonus, unlike magnetic tape, they require no special equipment to read and write, so startup costs are minimal.
- See also: On-line virtual disk space ...
- PCMag | ZIFF Davis
- Four cost-effective alternatives to public cloud storage | ZDNet | Enterprise
Syncing Showdown: Google Drive vs. Dropbox vs. OneDrive - Lifehacker
- Amazon.ca Cloud Drive - Unlimited $60/yr
- How can I be sure no-one will snoop into my cloud-based data? | ITBusiness.ca
- BoxCryptor | On-the-fly Encryption for cloud storage - US$48/user/year
- What Is A Virtual Server, And What Can You Do With One?
- Cloud Storage | IT Business
- ADrive | Online Storage, Online Backup, Cloud Storage
- Amazon Cloud Drive
- Box.com | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces
- Box.net - Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files
- Box - 100GB/CDN$6.65/user/month=100GB/CDN$80/user/year, unlimited/$20/user/month=unlimited/$240/user/year
- CertainSafe - Secure Cloud Storage
- CertainSafe - 100GB/user/$12/month=100GB/user/$144/year
- Compare Best Cloud Storage | Best VPN | Web Hosting & More
- Dropbox.com ...
- Flickr - Photo Sharing
- Google Drive
- iCloud ...
- iDrive ...
- iFloppy.net "Your Free Internet Floppy Disk" (free/cheap Internet file storage)
- JustCloud - see MyPCBackup
- Kodakgallery.com - Upload photos and pictures to your online photo albums at Kodakgallery.com
- Livedrive | Cloud Storage and Unlimited Online Backup for Home | Livedrive
- Backup: Automatic backup, Unlimited storage space for one PC/Mac device, View files online, Secure ($6/month)
- Briefcase: 2TB, Appears as an extra drive (on ALL your devices), Secure online sharing, Accessible anywhere ($12/month)
- Add extra space for $7.95 per TB.
- Mobile App available - optimised for BlackBerry
- Cloud Storage and Unlimited Online Backup for Home | Livedrive#CompareProducts
- MediaFire | Free Cloud Storage
- My Docs Online! - Easy Access to Your Stuff (20MB free storage)
- MyPCBackup - Online backup, computer backup and pc backup from MyPCBackup
- Picasa 3: Free download from Google
- SkyDrive - Microsoft
- SkyDesk (@Backup, SkyFiler, etc.)
- SugarSync | Cloud File Sharing, File Sync & Online Backup From Any Device
- Symform | Free Online Backup Service – Start with 10 GB Free Cloud Storage
- Sync | Secure Cloud Storage — Privacy Guaranteed - Canadian - $8/month/2TB
- Transfer Big Files - Free - Email Large Files
- Wiredrive | Media sharing for creative companies - $$$!! - >$400/month!! - Not for individuals. Only for businesses. - Thanks to Allison Peters for recommending this site.
- Wuala - Secure Cloud Storage - Backup. Sync. Share. Access Everywhere.
- A Hard Disk Drive for the IBM 305 RAMAC, the first IBM 'SUPER' computer released in September 1956.
This HDD weighed over a ton and stored an "astonishing" 5 MB of data. (= 0.005 GB = 0.000005 TB)
In other words, if you have one of those old original Apple iPhones from 2009 with only 32 GB of storage, it holds 6400 times as much data as this huge drive from 1956.
In other words, if you have a computer with a hard drive containing 2 TB (= 2000 GB = 2000000 MB) of storage, it holds 400000 times as much data as this huge drive from 1956.