Five Technologies to Make Sure Your Data Lives Forever
- See also -- Backup & Clone/Cloning ...
- See also -- Windows Topics ...
- Cloud Storage = On-line virtual disk space = Cloud Storage
- PC = Personal Computer info
- The Problem with Big Hard Drives | PCMag
- Up to and including Windows XP
32-bit (using 32-bit block addressing)
(MBR = Master Boot Record)
- Big = more than 2.19TB = 232 logical blocks of 512 bytes =
2,199,023,255,552 bytes = 2.2*1012 = 2.19TB
- Newer OSs (using 64-bit block addressing)
(GPT = GUID Partition Table) or (EFI)
- Logical blocs of 4KB = logical blocks of 4096 bytes
- Big = more than
= 9.4 trillion gigabytes = 264 logical blocks of 4096 bytes = 9.4ZB = 9.4*1021 = 9,400,000,000,000TB
- Thrashing disk drive - Does your hard drive start working like crazy for no apparent reason when you aren't even using it? - Disk Thrashing
- CD & DVD burning
- Diskette label remover
- LPS solvent / Label-off
- Disk Drives
- Standard form factors (3.5", 2.5", 1.8") for direct replacement of traditional HDD,
- Standard card form factor (mSATA and M.2) for use in space-constraint applications like Ultrabook or tablet, and
- PCIe card form factor adopted by enthusiast- and enterprise-class SSD solution.
- SSD = Solid State Disk Drives
- NVM = Non-Volatile Memory
- NAS = Network-attached storage
- ioSafe - Internal and External Hard Drives and Network Storage (NAS) Solutions | Fireproof | Waterproof
RAID Levels Explained | PCMag
Wipe your disk ...
Virtual Storage = Cloud Storage (on-line virtual disk space)
- Solution: Archive-quality optical disks
- Conventional CDs are a terrible way to store data
- Based on tests, manufacturers claim lifespans in the 1-3 century range. For maximum data density, you can pick up archival Blue Rays for about 2.5 gigabytes per dollar, with a projected lifespan of 200 years. Accelerated aging tests aren’t a sure thing, but it’s probably safe to count on them for a century or so. As a bonus, unlike magnetic tape, they require no special equipment to read and write, so startup costs are minimal.
- See also
- PCMag | ZIFF Davis
- Four cost-effective alternatives to public cloud storage | ZDNet | Enterprise
- File Syncing Showdown: Google Drive vs. Dropbox vs. OneDrive
- Amazon.ca Cloud Drive - Unlimited $60/yr
- How can I be sure no-one will snoop into my cloud-based data? | ITBusiness.ca
- BoxCryptor | On-the-fly Encryption for cloud storage - US$48/user/year
- What Is A Virtual Server, And What Can You Do With One?
- Cloud Storage | IT Business
- ADrive | Online Storage, Online Backup, Cloud Storage
- Amazon Cloud Drive
- Box.com | Simple Online Collaboration: Online File Storage, FTP Replacement, Team Workspaces
- Box.net - Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files
- Box - 100GB/CDN$6.65/user/month=100GB/CDN$80/user/year, unlimited/$20/user/month=unlimited/$240/user/year
- CertainSafe - Secure Cloud Storage
- CertainSafe - 100GB/user/$12/month=100GB/user/$144/year
- Compare Best Cloud Storage | Best VPN | Web Hosting & More
- Dropbox.com ...
- Flickr - Photo Sharing
- Google Drive
- iCloud - Apple
- IDrive - Universal online backup, easy sync and share
- See also: Backup ...
- IDrive | Online Cloud Backup and Storage | IDrive - one user, unlimited computers - 5GB/$0, 2TB/$52/year, 5TB/$75/year
- IDrive Personal Cloud Backup - Full Review and Benchmarks
- IDrive - ($0/year for 5GB=0.005TB) or (2TB/US$52/year) or (5TB/US$75/year)
- Disk Image Backup (Local/Cloud) & Entire Machine Backup
- IDrive lets you use a private encryption key if you're looking for a little more security than the default encryption. You must make this decision when you create your initial backup. You will then have the sole key to unlock your files, and if you lose it, your data will become useless.
- IDrive keeps up to 10 older versions of each changed or deleted file forever, but the old files do count against your storage cap.
- iDrive Sync (included with iDrive Home)
- Includes syncing of one folder to other computers and/or the cloud. See also Backup#Syncing
- Sync storage does not impact your backup storage. Sync storage limit matches your backup storage limits.
- IDrive creates a unique local folder (C:\Users\YourUserName\IDrive-Sync) on the computer. Add files to this folder to sync them in real time. Whenever you modify files within this folder, the updates instantly reflect on all linked devices and vice-versa.
- Note that this is not the same as syncing the contents of one drive to another drive (c.f. SyncBack, Syncredible, etc.).
- Sync files in real time across all your devices using IDrive
- iFloppy.net "Your Free Internet Floppy Disk" (free/cheap Internet file storage)
- JustCloud - see MyPCBackup
- Kodakgallery.com - Upload photos and pictures to your online photo albums at Kodakgallery.com
- Livedrive | Cloud Storage and Unlimited Online Backup for Home | Livedrive
- Backup: Automatic backup, Unlimited storage space for one PC/Mac device, View files online, Secure ($6/month)
- Briefcase: 2TB, Appears as an extra drive (on ALL your devices), Secure online sharing, Accessible anywhere ($12/month)
- Add extra space for $7.95 per TB.
- Mobile App available - optimised for BlackBerry
- Cloud Storage and Unlimited Online Backup for Home | Livedrive#CompareProducts
- Lock-box Client Portal - $$$ - $500/20users/15GB/yr or $1900/100users/45GB/yr
- MediaFire | Free Cloud Storage
- My Docs Online! - Easy Access to Your Stuff (20MB free storage)
- MyPCBackup - Online backup, computer backup and pc backup from MyPCBackup
- OneDrive = SkyDrive - Microsoft
- PC Mag
- ZD Net
- Picasa 3: Free download from Google
- SkyDrive - Microsoft
- SkyDesk (@Backup, SkyFiler, etc.)
- SugarSync | Cloud File Sharing, File Sync & Online Backup From Any Device
- Symform | Free Online Backup Service – Start with 10 GB Free Cloud Storage
- Sync | Secure Cloud Storage — Privacy Guaranteed - Canadian - $8/month/2TB
- Transfer Big Files - Free - Email Large Files
- Wiredrive | Media sharing for creative companies - $$$!! - >$400/month!! - Not for individuals. Only for businesses. - Thanks to Allison Peters for recommending this site.
- Wuala - Secure Cloud Storage - Backup. Sync. Share. Access Everywhere.
- Hard Drive Backup, Failure Rates, Prices - Backblaze
- A Hard Disk Drive for the IBM 305 RAMAC, the first IBM 'SUPER' computer released in September 1956.
This HDD weighed over a ton and stored an "astonishing" 5 MB of data. (= 0.005 GB = 0.000005 TB)
In other words, if you have one of those old original Apple iPhones from 2009 with only 32 GB of storage, it holds 6400 times as much data as this huge drive from 1956.
In other words, if you have a computer with a hard drive containing 2 TB (= 2000 GB = 2000000 MB) of storage, it holds 400000 times as much data as this huge drive from 1956.