Fitness & Sports
| Cycling | Dance | Martial Arts | Pilates | Running | SCUBA Diving | Skating | Skiing |
| Health & Medical Topics |
- Gentle Fit - YouTube
- Start To Lose Your Beer Gut in 10 Days With This Workout, Says Trainer - Eat This Not That
- What's the Best Time of Day to Exercise? It Depends on Your Goals
- Exercise Can Cut All Sorts of Health Risks for Seniors. Here's How to Get Going. | Barron's
- cancer, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, Alzheimer's disease, depression, ...
- Skadefri - Fit to Play
- Jumping Rope is an Unbeatable Cardio Workout—If You Do It Correctly
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology - CSEP
- Moccasin Guru - Shoe Reviews, Exercise guides, Sports, etc.
- A Hot Bath Has Benefits Similar to Exercise
- Bodyweight Workout for Beginners: 20-Minute at Home Routine | Nerd Fitness
- Why You Should Do Outdoor HIIT Workouts | Livestrong.com
- Darebee - A massive database of workouts plus meal plans and fitness challenges.
- Stronger by Science • The online home for thinking lifters
- 4 foam roller moves that will help improve your mobility | Canadian Living
- Here's How to Get Stronger After 50 - Outside - Pocket
- Exercise May Aid in Weight Loss. Provided You Do Enough. - The New York Times
- How to Lose Belly Fat: The Best Belly-Blasting Workouts | Reader's Digest
- 10 Easy Exercises to Build a Strong Core without Leaving the House - dummies
- Fitterfirst - Canada
- Is Whole-Body Vibration the Key To Effortless Weight Loss? - Everything Zoomer
- BodyRock - YouTube
- BodyRock.TV | The Home Workout Movement
- Garage Warrior
- The Scientific 7-Minute Workout - NYTimes.com -|$$$|- (CDN$20/4weeks)
- Exercise About.com
- FitDay: Free Diet & Weight Loss Journal
- Fitness Depot your exercise equipment superstores - FitnessDepot.ca
- Home Gyms Fitness Equipment Exercise Bikes Electric Scooters
- Interval Training
- PerformanceBike.com | Performance Bicycle
- Precor: innovative, high-quality fitness and exercise equipment
- Stretching / Flexibility / Mobility
- Heart Rate
- HRMax = Estimated highest number of beats your heart can beat in one minute (assuming you are healthy, not obese, don't have heart disease or other medical condition).
- Treadmill test (requires supervision by a professional, personal trainer or cardiologist) to push your heart to the max.
- HRMax = Maximum heart rate (pulse)
Target Maximum heart rate
= 50%-85% of HRMax
If HRMax (100%) is estimated about 150bpm, Target HR zone is 75-128bpm.
If HRMax (100%) is estimated about 180bpm, Target HR zone is 90-153bpm.
- HRMax Old Formula: (220 - age)
- HRMax Newer Formula: 208 - (0.7 * age)
- HRMax Newest Formula: 211 - (0.64 * age) | Heart Rate calculator - CERG - NTNU - "The traditional formula for determining HRmax is "220 minus age", but can underestimate HRmax by up to 40 beats per minute in seniors. In fact, the method is inaccurate already at an age of 30–40 years, and is more inaccurate the older you are."
- What Your Heart Rate May Be Telling You - Health and Wellness Alerts
- Some research suggests that resting heart rate may be an even better predictor of premature death than blood cholesterol and blood pressure.
- MHR = Maximum heart rate should be between these two numbers: (220-Age)*0.80 to (220-Age)*0.60
If you have been sedentary, start with 50 to 60 percent of your maximum rate. Trained athletes may aim as high as 90 percent.
- Mayo Clinic formula (for women over 40): 200-(Age*0.67)
Mayo Clinic formula (for men over 40): 216-(Age*0.93)
- Tanaka formula: 208-(Age*0.70)
- Fitness Trackers
- Self Defense
- Aikido ...
- Defendo / Combato - by Corporal W.J. (Bill) Underwood, Canadian creator of Defendo and Combato martial arts and self-defence disciplines
- Defendo - Wikipedia
- Forget bobbing, weaving and wasted movements: press the attack and strike with the elbows, the edge of the palms and the outside of the forearm, hard bone surfaces. Target the enemy's throat, Adam's apple, head, kidneys, groin and the back of the neck, with the goal of inflicting maximum damage (aka death).
- Defendo consists of four leverage holds, five hand-grips and 12 pressure points.
- "Brute strength is of little importance if you have a knowledge of the nerves of the human body."
- Robbie Cressman is an amateur historian and the keeper of the Underwood legend.
- Bill Underwood - Fight Times Magazine
- Don't Mess with Bill (film) - Wikipedia - 1981 - 11-minute documentary about his life - (Is this video available on YouTube or elsewhere online?)
- Books by Corporal W.J. (Bill) Underwood
- Combato - The art of self-defence - For Soldier and Civilian (Men & Women) - Corporal "Bill" Underwood
- Self-Defense for Women - Combato
- Defendo - Police System of Self-Defence
- Defendo: The Occidental System (Western) of Self-Protection - by William J. (Bill) Underwood - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- The art of Defendo: How a forgotten (Canadian!) martial art saved democracy | National Post - 2017-06-14 - PDF
- Krav Maga
- MMA = Mixed Martial Arts
- Mixed Martial Arts Vancouver, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Vancouver, Kickboxing Vancouver, Vancouver kickboxing, premier kickboxing Vancouver, premier brazilian jui-jitsu Vancouver, Vancouver wrestling, Vancouver boxing, boxing vancouver - #1 1256 Granville St, Vancouver, BC - (604) 684-0991
- Diaz Combat Sports – The #1 Martial Arts School in Vancouver = DCS - 276 E Pender St Vancouver BC V6A 1T7 +1 604 979 0709
- Muay Thai - Wikipedia
- Pilates Reformer
- How To Maintain Your Reformer - YouTube
- Monthly schedule: Check all straps, hooks, and attachments. Straps need to be resized periodically, using the adjustment provided, to ensure equality. Check tracks for build-up, which, if found, should be removed with a scraper in conjunction with a soapy solution.
- Check the wheels for wear. Wheels should be lubricated monthly or quarterly, depending on usage, using white Lithium grease (liquid form available in an aerrosol can; solid form available in a plastic tube). Surplus grease should be removed to ensure that it does not fall on the tracks.
- Do not lubricate (with grease or with silicone spray) the tracks.
- If your rollers are making noise or not rolling smoothly, first make sure your frame is aligned correctly. If the alignment is correct or if you have roller noise after adjusting the frame, use silicone spray on the steel roller track.