Manufacturers & Sales
Note that this list in no way constitutes a recommendation for these companies or their products. It is provided to facilitate comparison of the alternatives. Factors to consider are: reputation, location, helpful & knowledgeable personnel, hours of operation, technical support, hours of tech support, product selection & availability, price, warranty. Ask for written price quotations and then do a comparison of the quotations before deciding what to buy and where to make your purchase.
Vancouver, BC, Canada - Computer-related companies
Companies - Computer Hardware
- You Find IT – Search for technology products and pricing in Canada. | Product Guide
- APC - American Power Conversion UPS
- Arctic Cooling - Fans, VGA coolers, etc.
- ATI Technologies Inc.
- Bloom MicroTech Corp.
- Computer Topics...
- Creative Labs
- Crucial.com - Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com
- Daiwa Distribution Inc - Markham, ON
- Dell Laptops and Desktops Vulnerable to Remote Attack | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
- Why does Dell have so many numbers? Why doesn't Dell have just one number with an easy-to-use voice menu system?
- Voice menu systems should ALWAYS offer an option to press a number instead of (or as well as the option of) speaking your response.
- Canadian Tech Support for XPS - Small Business
- 800-847-4096 - Soutien technique
- 866-461-3355 - Workstations
- 800-387-5752 - Ventes
- 800-387-5752 - Conseiller aux ventes
- 800-695-8133 (USA) - Dell Business Customer Service
- 800-847-4096 - Soutien technique (India)
- FR - 8h00-22h00 - 7 jours
- EN - 24/7
- Hardware Warranty Support - (Please have your Service Tag ready when calling) 1-800-847-4096 24/7
- XPS Systems - 1-866-398-8977 24/7
- Dell Spare Parts
- 877-671-3355 -1-4340003
- 5-letter part number = new or refurbished
- A99999 = new part
- 999-9999 = new part
- DFSDirect.ca = Dell's Outlet Store
- Dell SMB Sales - Gripes
- Sales representatives do not stay long. You never get the same rep for more than one purchase.
- You get a new rep, so you get a new account number. This is STUPID!! The customer should keep the same number - ALWAYS. The Dell sales system seems to be focused on monitoring and/or compensating sales reps based on volume of sales.
- The reps are unable to access previous information on the clients. The SMB client does not get a consistent experience.
- Discounts vary wildly. Aren't there any standards?
- D-Link Canada
- DiscounTechnology - Information Technology at Liquidation Prices
- E-Compuvision.com - Canadas Overclocking, Cooling and Case Modification Source!
- ECS = Elitegroup Computer Systems (motherboards)
- ExtremeTech - Deep technology for enthusiasts and professionals
- Frontier PC Canada 1.866.800.8060 Fast Same Day Shipping
- Future Shop
- HP = Hewlett-Packard (prefers MSIE)
- HP Chat
- HP Canada
- HP Store Canada
- IT resource center or IT resource center (login 2 barfi) (prefers MSIE)
- To log and track software cases, use the: Software Call Manager
- To log and track hardware cases, use the: Hardware Call Manager
- IT resource center forums (prefers MSIE)
- The ITRC is a one-stop, personalized Web site where IT professionals get the multivendor resources they need to make better, faster IT decisions in their complex IT environments. The ITRC offers expert solutions across the lifecycle of IT activities, including: self-solve tools; reliable assistance; training; forums; planning resources; and a broad multivendor knowledge base.
- Equitech (subsidiary of DuMoulin) is an HP ASP (authorized service provider) - 514-852-5925 St.Leonard
- NWDmicroage is an HP ASP (authorized service provider) - 450-973-6678 Laval
- Printer drivers - HP recommends uninstalling the old driver and disabling any antivirus software before installing a printer driver.
- Micro Vault - mv-2020 - Prod#PE591AV#ABA-500GB
- HP no longer makes, supports, or provides parts for this product. Sold by HP in 2006, by 2009 HP considered this product obsolete. HP tech support was completely useless!!! (although polite and friendly)
- Starting about three years after purchase, the fan for the second drive bay started making loud unhealthy noises, hinting that its days were numbered.
- T&T 12VDC 0.14A 4500.RPM- 40*40*10 mm - 1-connector 3-wire-female-connector (+,-,tachometer) - T&T 4010L12C NF6 - This T&T product is no longer available.
- No computer or electronics store in Montreal could provide a replacement fan. I tried them all.
- Cofan USA - DC Fans, Blowers & Heatsinks from Cofan USA - 416-318-8308 - 800-766-6097 - 510-490-7533 - Freemont, CA
- I found a reference to Cofan in a "HP Support Forum".
- DC Fans
- Cofan Tech Support was very friendly, helpful, knowledgable, and competent.
- It would be better to get a higher (rather than a lower) "Rated Current" because there would be a higher rated RPM fan speed. (i.e. 0.18A would be better than 0.13A) However, amperage is not very important, since the important thing is to get some air flow.
- F-4010L12B II - The L in the product number means "Low Speed", which means less noise.
- Watt --- W=V*A or watts=volts*amperes So ... W=12v*0.14A=1.68W
- Lee Devlin's Website - use Search - Lots of info on lots of topics
- Ingram Micro
- Insight Direct, Inc. - Americas Discount Source Insight Canada
- PCMag.com | 12 Things to Know About Intel's Haswell CPUs | News & Opinion | PCMag.com - 2013-06-04
- As was true with previous Intel CPUs, a fourth-generation Core processor's model number tells you a lot about it. Each processor has a family name (Core i3, i5, or i7), which denote the processing prowess of each family (i.e. i7 is more powerful and capable of complex work compared with i5 and i3), and a model number that further denotes that CPU's power and placement. Together they let you know that, for example, an Intel Core i7-4770K is more powerful than a Core i5-4570. If a letter follows the model number, that lets you know for which segment a particular processor is designed. Letters used include K (for unlocked enthusiast desktops), S or T (low-powered desktops; think S for "power Saving" and T for "thin chassis" like in all-in-ones), H (quad-core mobile with Iris Pro graphics), M (quad-core mobile with dual-core 2-chip), U (ultrabook with Iris graphics), and Y (low-power ultrabook system on chip for detachable hybrids).
- Intel Core i7-4770K Review & Rating | PCMag.com
- Intel Secrets -> Dr.Dobbs
- Kensington - All previous links to the Kensington Website were broken when ACCO took over.
- 800-535-4242 - M-F 10h30-21h30 EST (7h30-18h30 PT)
- The "SlimBlade™ Trackball - K72327US - Kensington" is a great product and works very well.
- So far it works great with Windows 8.1 "Kensington TrackballWorks™ Software for Windows" (Win8.1Pro-x64).
- However, its software "Kensington TrackballWorks™ Software for Windows" causes lots of problems (Win7Pro-x64). Every few months the software misbehaves and needs to be reinstalled.
Some of the buttons on the mouse no longer work.
This is probably not a hardware problem.
- NEVER NEVER install the SlimBladeDriver. It is only for multimedia?
- Uninstall "Kensington TrackballWorks™ Software for Windows" and then reboot.
- Do NOT download and install the latest version of "Kensington TrackballWorks™ Software for Windows".
- Use this old version of the "Kensington TrackballWorks™ Software for Windows". It is much more stable than the newer versions.
Make sure you download the file to your computer, right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator".
- Tips (for fixing TrackBallWorks)
- There are many free downloadable programs to help uninstall TrackBallWorks. Is there one that we could trust? Be careful with free downloadable software that makes amazing promises.
- Check for device conflicts:
Control Panel > Device Manager > Mice and other pointing devices
Control Panel > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers
- Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall or change a program > TrackBallWorks > Uninstall
- Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to make sure no Kensington TrackBallWorks processes are running. ("Kensington", "TrackBallWorks", "TBW", tbwhelper, track.works)
- Regedit > HKCU and HKLU > Delete all traces of "Kensington", "TrackBallWorks", "TBW", then reboot
- Kensington.com > Software & Drivers > TrackBallWorks for Windows > Save file to your computer > Open Containing Folder
- Make sure TrackBall is plugged into a computer USB port, not a hub.
- Disable Anti-Virus program while installing TrackBallWorks.
- Right-click on the TrackBallWorks installer executible (.EXE) and Run as Admin
- Warning! There is a very good chance that none of the above suggestions or tips will allow for a successful installation of TrackBallWorks. (Kensington tech support can't help you much.) Please feel free to scream and curse and jump up and down. At least you may feel better.
- Product FAQs | Laptop Security | Mobile Solutions - Kensington - Kensington
- Unable to install TrackballWorks, 'c:/program files/Kensington/trackballworks.inf'
When installing TrackballWorks on my Windows PC I receive an error message: Unable to install TrackballWorks, 'c:/program files/Kensington/trackballworks.inf'.
The TrackballWorks installer requires Administrative privileges in order to run. You must be logged in as an administrator or have Administrator rights on your computer. To install with Administrator rights, right-click on the executable installer file and click on "Run as Administrator".
- X-Mouse Button Control - Some people have had success with this product. It didn't work for me.
- Cleaning a trackball
- mycusthelp.net/kensington | The SlimBlade Trackball, model 72327, is coated with a light layer of lanolin to reduce friction and noise.
If the ball makes noise in the housing or is not rolling smoothly please roll the control ball in the palm of your hands for approximately 30 seconds to replace a thin coat of lubrication onto the control ball. The ball actually works best when it is lubricated with a thin amount of natural lubrication which is transferred from your hand. The ball should not be cleaned with water, alcohol, or other cleaners, as this will completely remove the lubrication from the ball.
- Other cleaning methods - Everyone has a different idea. Which one is best???
- "Roll the control ball in the palm of your hands for approximately 30 seconds".
- Windex cleaning wipes
- Clean with alcohol - NOT wit a lubricant
- Aero oil?
- 3-in-1 oil
- 3-in-1 silicon spray
- Silicone oil (not grease)
- Plastic-safe grease
- Window cleaner
- Alcohol + window cleaner
- Ultimax 226 - Dupont
- Turtle Wax finish
- Kingston Technology Corporation
- Contact Logitech
- (646) 454-3200 - Customer Support
- (360) 896-2000 - Vancouver, BC
- (800) 231-7717 - Freemont, CA (Sales)
- (702) 269-3457 - Freemont, CA (Customer Support)
- Maxtor - Malpitas, CA - M-F 6h00-18h00 MST
- 408-894-5000 Corporate
- 408-232-8600 MMC Tech
- Memory = RAM
- Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
- NIC = New Internet Computer - Starting at US$199. (Remember that you always get what you pay for.)
- PC Connection Online SuperStore
- PC Magazine - Computer, Software, Hardware and Electronics Reviews, Downloads, News and Opinion
- Power Supplies - www.pcpowerandcooling.com
- Price Watch - Street Price Search Engine
- Quantum = Maxtor
- SIDUS Distribution
- SMC = Standard Microsystems Corp (network products)
- Springboard Technology (Drive repairs & sales)
- TigerDirect.ca- Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components & Electronics
- U.S. Robotics
- Video cards
- Video Card Support and Help
The unwarranted fixation on the amount of RAM is the biggest, most common mistake.
If you're playing at 1920x1080 or higher you should be looking for a high-end model in the first place, and that will come with more memory by default.
GDDR5 memory provides twice the bandwidth of DDR3 at the same clock rate.
1 GB of GDDR5 is infinitely preferable to 4 GB of DDR3.
The point is that a flashy factory-overclocked product with more RAM might look impressive, but you can bet it's grossly outperformed by a plain-Jane specimen of the next higher model.
It's about the qualified drivers for Quadro that make a big difference. Also, the product cycle is much longer than gaming cards, so you can standardize with Quadro cards (and get support) for many years. The biggest difference though is Quadro is built for precision, Geforce is built for speed.
But saying that you cannot game on a workstation card is completely false. While it used to be true that workstations cards didn't support gaming technologies like DirectX or PhysX, modern Quadro cards no longer have this limitation.
- WDC = Western Digital Corp.
- What's New Now - PC Magazine
- Yamaha Corporation of AmericaYamaha Canada Music
- ZDNet - Ziff Davis
Montreal, QC, Canada - Computer-related companies