Food & Drink Topics
Wine & Beer & Spirits
- Have a drink: "Never drink alcohol unless you are celebrating something, upset on something, or if it's a day that ends with the letter Y. And never drink when you're driving." - Helen Mirren
- After tasting the wine, Macha summons the waiter: "Elvis. Come here. If I wanted vinegar, I would have ordered french fries. Get me something with a price tag on it. Okay?" - Ray Liotta (as Macha) in the movie Revolver, 2005.
- BAC Calculator - Blood alcohol content, or BAC, is an important number that helps determine the level of alcohol in a person's bloodstream. - | - Thanks to Sarah Witmer for recommending this site.
- Alcohol - De-alcoholized wine
- Taste Magazine | BC Liquor Stores - $0
- De Long Wine Discovery Tools - Wine Maps, Charts & Tasting Notebooks
- Fiche de dégustation
- Aroma Wheel
- Bill Zacharkiw, Special to Montreal Gazette | Montreal Gazette
- Aurelia Filion - BuSurLeWeb.com is no longer an active address.
- I love her. Impossible not to love a woman who is this passionate about wine.
- but... Can she dance?
- CAPS = Canadian Association of Professional Sommeliers - BC Chapter
- Chardonnay Revolution
- Decanter Magazine
- Everything Wine | Buy Wine Online | BC's largest wine stores | Everything Wine
- Everything Wine - Store Locator
- 8570 River District Crossing,
V5S 0C2 Vancouver - 604-416-1672
- 998 Marine Drive,
V7P 3C4 North Vancouver 604-929-7277
- Les Fidèles de Bacchus
- Gismondi on Wine
- Hotels, Restaurants, Institutions - La Revue HRI - la référence des professionnels du secteur de l’hôtellerie, de la restauration et des institutions (QC)
- Imbibe Magazine - The Ultimate Drinks Magazine, Exploring Wine, Spirits, Beer, Coffee, Tea and Every Beverage In Between - Imbibe Magazine
- Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e Porto = IVDP
- Local Wine Events .com - Wine Tasting, Education, Classes And Dinners
- 4oz fresh lime juice
- 3oz silver Tequila – Cuervo (Patrón)
- 1oz Cointreau
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Nat Decants - Favorite Wine and Food Books - Natalie MacLean
- New Zealand Wine
- Opimian | Best Wine Club in Canada - Available in All Provinces - formerly opim.ca
- Orange wine = skin-contact wine = skin-fermented white wine = amber wine
- The Pinotage Club
- QC = Province of Québec, Canada
- Amicale des Sommeliers du Québec
- asq.ca.qc = L'Amicale des Sommeliers du Québec | Pour l'amour du bon vin en toute convivialité
- La Celeste Levure
firstname.lastname@example.org - liste d'envoi d'un bulletin d'informations sur les vins
www.lacelestelevure.ca n'est pas encore existant
5417 Saint-Laurent, Montréal (QC) H2T 1S5 T : 514.948.5050 F : 514.948.5030
- Conseillers du Vin - Nick Hamilton
- Montreal (xls) - BYOB
- Régie des alcools des courses et des jeux
Denise Fournier - Direction des affaires juridiques - Téléphone : (418) 643-8496 - Télécopieur : (418) 528-6949
"Une liste d'établissements licenciés. Après étude de votre demande en regard de la Loi sur l'accès aux documents des organismes publics et sur la protection des renseignements personnels (L.R.Q., chapitre A-2.1), nous vous informons que la liste demandée peut vous être communiquée. Vous trouverez donc ci-joint la liste des restaurants pour servir de la région de Montréal." - Québec, le 23 juillet 2008 - "Liste restos pour servir MTL.xls"
Le responsable de l'accès aux documents et de la protection des renseignements personnels, François Côté
Robin Timmons, agent de recherche accès à l'information
- 1, rue Notre-Dame Est, 9e étage - Montréal (Québec), H2Y 1B6
Téléphone: 514 873-3577 - Télécopieur : 514 873-5861 - Ailleurs au Québec - 1 800 363-0320 (sans frais)
- Raspipav - Le Regroupement des Agences Spécialisées dans la Promotion des Importations Privées des Alcools et des Vins
- SAQ : Découvrez la sélection de vins, bières et spiritueux en ligne - Québéc Alcoholics Society
- Riedel – The Wine Glass Company
- Robert Parker Wine Advocate - (formerly eRobertParker.com)
- Sake Today
- Sake World
- June 2019 – Sake World - The Milling Wars Are Officially Over!
- Rice is milled to remove fat and protein, and that the more this is done, the cleaner and more refined the final sake can be. The more one mills before brewing the more elegant and refined the resulting sake will be. Elegance and refinement are collectively only one figure of merit in sake. There are many others. Breadth. Depth. Richness. Intensity. Resonance. Weight. They are all valid, loveable aspects of sake, and more milling means less of these.
- July 2019 - Milling: Less Can Be More - Breadth. Depth. Reverb. Resonance. Umami. Richness. Weight. Intensity. Also, beyond the question of milling, there are a multitude of things to consider in a given
Yeast starter preparation sake. For example, what rice was used? What grade of that rice and from what region? What year was it brewed, how was it stored, what about pasteurization or the lack thereof? What methods of brewing were used? And of course there are so many more. To only base preferences and decisions on the seimai-buai number is to basically ignore so much pertinent information.
- Sake World Newsletter Archives
- Sake World, Inc. Newsletter Archives
- Daiginjo -
Daiginjo sake is sake brewed using only rice, water, yeast, koji and sometimes brewer's alcohol. The rice must be milled to 50% or less of it's original size to be a Daiginjo. Daiginjo is slowly brewed at low temperature and is commonly made with fragrant yeast strains and sakamai (a special rice for brewing.) These are generally enjoyed slightly chilled, at room temperature or slightly warm.
- Ginjo -
Similarly to Daiginjo, is brewed slowly at a low temperature with fragrant yeast strains and sakamai. This sake is usually fragrant and fresh; brewed using only rice, water, yeast, koji and sometimes brewer's alcohol. The main difference of this sake is that it needs to be milled to at least 60% of it's original size to be considered Ginjo. Best enjoyed slightly chilled, slightly warm, or at room temperature.
- Junmai -
You have probably seen this word prior to the "type" of sake --like the Junmai Daiginjo shown above. Well, the word basically defines the sake's purity. Junmai, meaning "pure rice", is sake which has only been made with rice, koji rice and water. Basically if it is Junmai must not include any brewer's alcohol to retain it's purity.
- "Flavoured" Sake -
Though not really a type, we thought we would add this in for those who have seen this section in our store. Majority of this section is sake-based liquors. Don't be fooled by the name though, a lot of these include delectable blends such as the addition of Umeshu, Yuzu, and more!
- Genshu 原酒= Undiluted Sake
- Honjōzō-shu (Honjozo) 本醸造酒= Another style of sake, like Daiginjo and Ginjo but milled to 70% or less of its original size.
- Nigorizake (Nigori) 濁り酒= Cloudy Sake / Roughly Filtered Sake
- Tokubetsu 特別= The sake had used a special brewing process
- Cavalli Cav. Ferdinando
- Luisa Meago <email@example.com>
- Cavalli products - Cavalli cav. Ferdinando
- Finica Food Specialties - (905) 696-2770 - (905) 696-2776 - M-R.8h-16h30, F.8h-16h ET
- 65 Superior Blvd, Unit #1, Mississauga, Ontario, L5T 2X9
- Canadian importer of Cavalli Balsamic vinegar.
- Andy - Sales Manager - 416-305-1425
- Paul Blake - President - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shelley Myers - Administrative - Assistant to the President & Client Relations - email@example.com
Guy Campeau, Key accounts executive - Cell: 514-898-9795 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kathleen Swirla - Key Account Manager at Finica Foods Specialties Ltd. - 647-328-0829 - email@example.com
- Distributors: Lekker, World Wide Foods, GFS, Sysco
Vini Nobili (d'Italia) Imports - 93 Dupont St., Toronto ON, M5R 1V4 - Canadian Importer for Cavalli - 416-482-7878 416-961-0018
Has Vini Nobile closed? According to the phone message, "nobody is available now" (even in the middle of a weekday).
Brunello Imports - 449 Fenmar Dr, North York, ON M9L 2R6 - (416) 631-9773 - brunelloimports.com - Permanently closed.
Elco is an authorized distributor for Vini Nobili Imports (according to president Fabio P. Micacchi - 2003-10-25)
Elco Fine Foods Ltd.
Head Office - 120-13100 Mitchell Road, Richmond, BC, Canada V6V 1M8 - 604-324-1551 888-894-6464 - firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 - No longer distributing Cavalli
see NMA Sales?
Elco Fine Foods Inc. - 40 West Beaver Creek Rd - Richmond Hill, ON
Elco Fine Foods Inc. - 2724 boul. Daniel-Johnson, Chomedey QC, H7P 5Z7 - 514-330-6538 877-700-3526 (Lorraine)
Now part of Finica?
National Importers - 120-13100 Mitchell Road, Richmond, BC, V6V 1M8 - 888.894.6464 - 604.324.1551
800-268-7480 - Order Desk Carole Richter x432, Purchasing Anna x136, Reception x200
- Marie-Pierre Desmarchais Vinaigre Balsamique - Online Store - CDN$55/500ml + taxes? + shipping = $$$$$
- De Medici Imports - USA importer DeMedici - New Jersey - Marie O'Daniels - email@example.com
UNFI = united natural foods
Will only sell to retailers.
UNFI does not yet have Cavalli Balsamico in stock or on its product list.
UNFI will only sell to retail companies with a UNFI account. UNFI will not sell directly to customers.
UNFI Canada, Richmond Distribution Center - 153-12757 Vulcan Way, Richmond BC V6V 2Z6 - (604) 276-2411
UNFI - Pro Organics - 4535 Still Creek Avenue, Burnaby BC V5C 5W1 - (604) 253-6549
Unfi Saturday Market: Healthy food and brands for cheap! – Karen K. Lee
No Cavalli products.
- gourmetwarehouse.ca - Vancouver, BC - 604-253-3022
- Household Vinegar Uses You Never Knew
- Cépage = Grape variety = grape varietal (ang)
- Assemblage = Blend (ang)
- La plupart des vins de la région bordelaise, contrairement à la plupart des autres régions viticoles (en France), sont le résultat d'assemblages de vins issus de cépages différents. (exception: Rhône = cépages GSM = Grenache + Syrah + Mourvèdre + 20 autres) - See also: Meritage
- Food & Wine Pairings:
- Accords mets et vins = Alliances mets et vins =Pairing (ang)
- Asparagus ruins most wines
- Avoid fruit-driven wines | Avoid tannins | Avoid oak
- Look for wines that somehow echo the chlorophyll, grassy, slightly cheesy essence
- Whites are a much better match for asparagus.
- Sauvignon Blanc - Sancerre or Touraine - not New World (too much cat pee and grass)
- Sparkling wine (Champagne, Cava, Prosecco). Not Pinot Noir based, but a Blanc de Blancs. But not Chenin Blanc either - too much fruit. - mostly Chardonnay
- Grüner Veltliner ?? | Sémillon | Sémillon & Sauvignon Blanc | Reisling | Pinot Grigio | Pinot Gris | Riesling | Gewürztraminer | unoaked Chardonnay | very dry Tokaji ?? | dry Alsatian Muscat ??
- Pinot Noir with mild tannins and very little oakiness - using the grill or the broiler for the asparagus
- Wheat beer
- Natalie MacLean - Wine and Food matching tips
- Sauvignon Blanc | Albariño | Pinot Noir | Cabernet Franc | Chinon | Sancerre
- Port (ang) = Porto (fr,po)
- bread, grapes, chocolate, almonds, Hazelnuts
- edel de cleron, faisan avec porto d'érable, chevreuil madère, fourme d'ambert au lait cru, parmigiano reggiano 28 mois, manchego
- PlatsNetVins : Accords entre Plats, Mets et Vins
- Porto (fr,po) = Port (ang)
- More than 80 different grape varieties are authorized for Port production. The most widely used - and most highly regarded - grapes: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz (another name for Tempranillo), Tinta Barroca and Tinta Cão.
- "LBV" stands for "Late-Bottled Vintage." By law, LBV Ports are bottled within four to six years from the vintage date. This means they spend about twice as long in wood as vintage Ports, and so are usually more accessible at an early age. Some producers cold stabilize and filter their LBVs. This is supposed to eliminate the need to decant the Port, but it can strip away the flavours. If you're looking for LBVs made more like vintage Ports, look for the word "Traditional" on the label.
- Many older bottles of Vintage Port have what appear to be streaks of white paint on them. This white mark is also called a splash mark, and it tells you which way the bottles were cellared (splash mark up). This way, all the sediment collects on the same side. (Wine Spectator)
- Francophones have a lot of trouble pronouncing the word "Tawny". Québécois want to pronounce it "town-ie" However, Tawny is not spelled "Towney".
Tawny should be pronounced like the word "dawn", not like "down".
- Francophones have a lot of trouble pronouncing the word "Dawson" (As in Dawson College). Québécois want to pronounce it "Dow-son" (where 'dow' is pronounced the same as 'cow').
It is not spelled "Douse-On" or "Dowse-On".
Dawson should be pronounced like the word "dawn", not like "down".
- Pouilly Fumé
- Pouilly-Fumé is a dry white wine from the Loire Valley wine-producing region of France and is made from the Sauvignon Blanc grape variety. It is characterized by smoky flavors and minerality. The vineyards are located in Pouilly sur Loire, Saint Andelain, Boisgibault, Tracy sur Loire (Nièvre).
- Pouilly-Fuissé is an appellation of Burgundy wine in central France. It is the best-known part of the Mâconnais region, and produces white wine from the Chardonnay grape.
This white Burgundy should not be confused with the Sauvignon Blancs from Pouilly-Fumé and Pouilly-sur-Loire in the Loire Valley.
- Fumé Blanc - The first cuttings of Sauvignon blanc were brought to California by Charles Wetmore, founder of Cresta Blanca winery, in the 1880s. These cuttings came from the Sauternes vineyards of Chateau d'Yquem. Eventually, the wine acquired the alias of "Fumé Blanc" in California by promotion of Robert Mondavi. In California wine produced from the Sauvignon blanc grape is also known as Fumé blanc. Both oaked and unoaked Sauvignon blanc wines have been marketed under the name Fumé blanc.
- Meritage = Bordeaux-style wine that isn't from Bordeaux, FR = Vin de style bordelais, mais qui n'est pas d'origine française = e.g. California Meritage (Opus One, Phelps Insignia, Dominus, etc.)
- Meritage (jamais Méritage)
Meritage = Cabernet Sauvignon + Cabernet Franc + Merlot + Petit Verdot + Malbec + Carmenère + Gros Verdot + St.Macare
Bordeaux = Cabernet Sauvignon + Cabernet Franc + Merlot + Petit Verdot + Malbec + (Carmenère?) = un assemblage d'au moins un de ces cinq cépages
- Pinotage = a clone of (Pinot Noir + Hermitage)
- Pinotage = un cépage (conçu d'un clône du Pinot Noir + Hermitage) = un cépage développé en Afrique du Sud
Cinsault/Cinsaut = Hermitage (France méridionale) = Hermitage (Afrique du Sud ) = vin du Rhône à base du cépage Syrah = cépage principal des vins de Châteauneuf-du-Pape = Cinq-saou = Black Malvoisie (CA) = Boudales = Plant d'Arles = Picardin noir = Morterille noire = Cuviller =
(Black Prince = Blue Imperial = Oeillade = Ullade = Cividino)
- German wine classification - Wikipedia
- Table wine = Deutscher Wein (previously Tafelwein) and Landwein
- Qualitätswein = quality wine - Some top-level dry wines are officially Qualitätswein although they would qualify as Prädikatswein. All dry wines produced by members of the VDP association are always declared as Qualitätswein.
- Prädikatswein = Qualitätswein mit Prädikat (QmP), or superior quality wine - Prädikatswein range from dry to intensely sweet, but unless it is specifically indicated that the wine is dry (trocken) or off-dry (halbtrocken), these wines always contain a noticeable amount of residual sugar.
- Unlike Chardonnay, most Riesling do not undergo malolactic fermentation.
- Niagara is a major producer of ice wine in general, putting it neck-and-neck with Germany. Niagara's best offerings come from the Niagara Escarpment region, which encompasses the Short Hills Bench, 20 Mile Bench, and Beamsville Bench.
- Some Washington State winemakers, such as Chateau Ste. Michelle, are adapting German-style Riesling production methods, and even partnering with well-known German vintners like Dr. Ernest Loosen to create specialty wines such as the Eroica Riesling.
- Weingut = winery
- Vin du Jura - Trousseau, Savagnin, Chardonnay, Ploussard ou Poulsard - Vin Jaune, Macvin du Jura, Crémant du Jura