How Search Works - The Story – Inside Search – Google
Individual Directories & Search Engines
Collections of Search Engines
Yellow & White Pages - Find Businesses & People
Other Search Tools - Maps - Webhelp.com
Searching Tips & Techniques
Reference Materials & Literature Topics
WhoIs (Domain Name System)
FTP - GopherSpace - Telnet - News or NNTP - WAIS
Note that there is a lot of overlap in all categories. Many search tools are combinations of more than one type of search tool. Many search tools include results obtained from other search tools.
Searching Tips & Techniques
- Searching the Internet - An Overview
- Online Sites with Information about Research -- Some useful sites online that provide further guidance about searching.
- Desktop Search Utilities --
- Windows Search | Cortana
- Windows 10 - No searchresults from control panel or settings! - Windows Support - Neowin
- Right-click the Indexed folder > Properties > Advanced > Check Allow files in this folder to have indexed in addition to file properties. Click Apply and Exit.
If already checked, uncheck it > apply > recheck it > apply and that should fix it.
- Right-click on the "C" drive
Click on "Properties"
Check the box that says "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties"
Select "Apply changes to drive C:\, subfolders and files"
Click "OK" and wait for the index to be rebuilt
- Get Classic Shell and forget about Cortana and Windows menu. It has much better search. Read its search guide.
- Off-line search utilities to search your computer or your network.
- Off-line search utilities help to speed up Internet searches by querying multiple search engines simultaneously.
- Guide to Computer Training
- Search Engine Watch - Advice on getting noticed by search engines
- SearchIQ: Directory of Speciality Engines and Independent Reviews
Individual Search Tools
- Internet Directories = Category Indices = Browsing Indices = Browsing Trees -- These hierarchical search systems help you look for information about a broad topic, rather than very specific information. You can search through the subcategories or you can search for a word or phrase within a category. Yahoo! Canada , Yahoo! USA , The WWW Virtual Library , WebCrawler
- Search Engines = Key-word Indices = Robots = Spiders -- The search engine finds and indexes information found on Web pages throughout the Internet. You can search for specific words and phrases found on a Web page. AltaVista, Excite, HotBot, GO.com, Lycos, WebCrawler
- Both (Directory & Search Engine): Most modern search tools include both a Search Engine (with an area where you can type in your search) and an Index (with lots of categories for you to select from).
- AllTheWeb (Pictures, Video, MP3, etc.)
- Alta Vista
- Ask Jeeves - Ask.com
- Bing - (= Windows Live Search)
- Business.com - A special portal just for businesses. Need info on a company or an industry?Get free research on Work.com. Looking for business-to-business productsor services? Check the extensive directory, organized by industry. You'll also find industry news, travel resources, and just about anything else your business needs. Take a look!
- Canada.com - Canadian news, entertainment, television, newspapers, free email and more
- C|net's Shareware.com (Search for files)
- DMOZ - ODP - Open Directory Project
- FindWhat.com - Performance Driven Marketing
- Galaxy: Serious Searches. Relevant Results.
- ScienceDaily Magazine: Your Source For The Latest Research News
- wiseGEEK: clear answers for common questions
- Wolfram Research: Mathematica, Technical and Scientific Software
- Yahoo! , All-in-One Search , People Search
Collections of Search Engines
- A Meta search tool sends your request to a bunch of individual search engines, which work on it simultaneously. The meta search tool collects the results and presents them to you, sometimes eliminating duplcate hits and reordering hits according to their evaluation of relevance.
- All-in-One Search Pages -- Run multiple searches at one time on different search engines.
- Multi-search Engines - a comparison.
Yellow & White Pages
Find Businesses & People
Other Search Engines
- Specialty Search Engines -- Search.com , Deja News (= http://groups.google.com/)
- Review Indices -- By reviewing WWW sites and describing and ranking the content found on the sites, these systems help steer you towards the best sites for your search. Excite , Lycos , WebCrawler
- Subject Guides = Topical Indices = Virtual Libraries -- These are sources that focus on a particular topic.
- City Guides & Geographic/Regional Search Engines -- These sites help to locate information about particular countries, cities, towns, and other geographic locations.
- Fee-based Databases
Gopher Search Engines
- Gopher -- Gopher is an information retrieval system developed to permit easier access to local university information. It is the text-oriented url-driven predecessor of the WWW. (Binoculars = Search; Folder = Another url; Page = Document)
A menu-oriented tool used to locate online resources developed at the University of Minnesota.
The information is presented in plain text format, with no graphical images included.
Gopher protocol - Wikipedia
- Veronica search of GopherSpace
Mothergopher at University of Minnesota (deceased)
FTP Search Engines
- FTP -- FTP is built into your WWW browser so that it is now quite easy to transfer files down to your computer. Anonymous FTP allows you to use "anonymous" as the userid and your own e-mail address as your password. Once you have downloaded a file, you will probably need to uncompress or uncombine the file (using a File Compression utility: WinZip, 7-zip, etc.). File Transfer Protocol can also be used to upload files from your client machine to the FTP server machine.
- Although FTP (see ftp.htm) is still very useful and popular (for uploading and downloading files), FTP search engines (Archie) are almost never used any more.
- See also ftp.htm
- Archie: a User-index of anonymous FTP
- Archie by using Telnet: Login as "archie" and don't enter anything for a password. Try the Archie commands "?" "Help" "prog searchstring" "find" "whatis searchstring". Archie.McGill.ca
News - NNTP - USENET
Forums - Search Engines
Telnet Search Enginess
- Telnet -- Telnet allows you to run a program (such as an electronic library catalogue or pay-per-use database service) on another computer. Passwords are often required.
- You must make sure that a Telnet application has been set up in your Browser. You may be able to find Telnet, Trumptel, or WinTel already installed on your computer. If not, then you will have to download it and install it.
- Telnet is a protocol used to logon as a terminal to a remote system, such as Pegasus or LUIS. URLs (web addresses) that begin telnet:// or tn3270:// will try and start your telnet or tn3270 helper application.
WAIS (Wide Area Information Service/System)