- Digital Cameras
- Light (camera company)
- multiple lens system - 16 lenses (35mm,50mm,70mm,150mm), 52MP, Raw format available - Adobe.DNG, UD$1700?, 2016?)
- "superior image quality, the versatility of various focal lengths, and a compact design"
- CSC | What is a compact system camera? | TechRadar
- How Light plans to put a DSLR in your pocket | ExtremeTech
- Lightfield technology
- Canon Canada Inc.
- Digital Camera Product Reviews: Digital Photography Review
- Digital Camera Buyer's Guide 2008
- Digital Photography Review - News Discussion Forum
- dpreview.com - Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ
- Hack Your Canon PowerShot to Add Superpowers - Solutions by PC Magazine
- Howstuffworks "How Digital Cameras Work"
- Nikon Canada: Digital
- Olympus - Digital Cameras
- SP-570 UZ - 10MP, 20xZoom, JPEG/RAW, SDcard, USB-2.0 (no FireWire), 2.7" LCD - US$530 - January 2008
- Pentax Canada
- RAW format
- Camera Requirements (= wish list): (digital still camera)
- Sensor - see below
- MegaPixels - At least 10 (preferably 12 or 14 MP)
- Superzoom 20x-30x optical zoom (NOT including digital zoom!!)
- Internal threads to allow adding a filter (e.g. UV filter)
- optical image motion stabilization - camera shake compensating system (essential for high magnification)
- Video, preferably HD video recording - 1080p video - HD video mode
- support for RAW format
- GPS = Determine and record the shooting location for every photo. After downloading the images to a computer, the user can view all of the geo-tag data (latitude longitude) with imaging software or on a map at Picasaweb or Panoramio or Google Maps.
- LCD screen (2.5" or more)
- ultra-high resolution 3.5" OLED screen
- eye-level viewfinder
- touch-screen operation
- small, easy to carry
- USB3 input/output (and perhaps FireWire-IEEE1394, if only USB2 is available)
- HDMI output
- Remote release port
- replaceable AA cells (not a proprietary battery that needs a proprietary charger)
- face detection
- warranty (>=2 years)
- 3D panoramic photo & 3D photos or 3D HD movies
- Sensor - see below
- SLD = single lens digital = mirrorless = (new category that started in 2009/2010)
- electronic viewfinder (EVF)
- SLR = single lens reflex = with a reflex mirror or pentaprism
- have interchangeable lenses
- SLRs/SLDs do not have superzoom lenses - WHY??
- Shutter lag = response time
- SLRs have less/no? shutter lag
- 6 (2-11) fps continuous drive mode (or burst mode) - at full resolution - (frames-per-second)
- fast focus times
- AF tracking = auto focus to keep the subject in focus
- Continuous Tracking autofocus
- advanced Intelligent Auto mode
- 14-lumen projector (optional)
- SLRs have a larger sensor size than superzooms - WHY??
- Why not use better sensors in superzooms?
- a small sensor is what allows such a long focal range lens to be relatively compact
- a larger sensor means larger lenses which lessens the size advantage that many point and shoots have
- Search: Digital Photography Review
- Sensor Size, Mega Pixels and Airy Disks | Super Zoom & Interchangeable Lens Camera Reviews
- Exception: In 2005 Sony came out with the CyberShot DSC-R1. It had a CMOS ASP-C class sensor. 10.3MP, 5xOpticalZoom, 3888*2592, RAW&JPEG - currently about $900, if you can find it on eBay.
- Sensor Sizes
||5.76 x 4.29
||6.2 x 4.6
||7.18 x 5.32
||7.6 x 5.7
||13.2 x 8.8
12.8 x 9.6
|Micro Four Thirds
||17.3 x 13
||20.7 x 13.8
||22.2 x 14.8
23.5 x 15.6
23.6 x 15.7
||28.7 x 19
|Full-Frame = 35mm
||36 x 24
||50.7 x 39
- Image sensor
- Image sensor format
- high ISO - to reduce noise (= more grainy = coarser)
- an exposure index (EI) rating
- ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600.../12800/etc. = DIN 20/21/24/27/30/.../42/etc.
- larger-sensor cameras don't need as high an ISO to get a good image in low light conditions
- Note that the smaller sensors are measured in inches (e.g. 1/2.5")=(5.76mm*4.29mm), but that value is then converted into the metric equivalent (24.7 mm2).
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V
- (JPEG only)
- Image device: diagonal=7.77mm width=~6mm area=~28.50mm2 type=1/2.3 - Exmor R CMOS sensor - 16.2MP(effective)
- Carl Zeiss Vario-SonnarT lens - 30xZoom(4.8-144mm)(=27mm-810mm(35mmEquivalent))
- 32GB MS-HX32B/KQ1 - Memory Stick PRO-HG Duro - sony.net/memorycard/ - $180
- Canon G1X - diagonal=23.36mm width=18.70mm height=14.00mm area=262mm2 type=1.5"
- Image sensor format - Wikipedia
- Editors for Graphic Images & Photographs
- Online Storage - Photos/File Sharing
- Sharing Your Photos
- slideshow, sliders, online presentations, etc.
- Great Photos