What do you think?
- Thoughts & Ideas & Quotes
- Bill Maher - Pro Israel - YouTube
- "The core reality of the dispute is this: … If the Palestinians put down their weapons, there would be peace tomorrow. … If the Israelis put down their weapons, there would be genocide tomorrow." -- Harvard professor - Alan Dershowitz
- The Workplace Tips I Wish I'd Known From the Start | LinkedIn - Katya Andresen
- "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -- Scott Adams
- "A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary." -- Fred Allen, American comedian
- "80 percent of success is just showing up" -- Woody Allen
- "The 3 Cs of life: choices, chances, and changes: You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change." -- Anonymous
- "Better to get up late and be wide awake than to get up early and be asleep all day." -- Anonymous
- "Nos jeunes aiment le luxe, ont de mauvaises manières, se moquent de l'autorité et n'ont aucun respect pour l'âge." - citation du philosophe grec Aristote??, mort en l'an 322 avant Jésus-Christ, see Socrates
- "It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final." -- Roger Babson,
American entrepreneur and business theorist
- "Every time you are not practicing someone else is." -- Boris Becker, German tennis player
- "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett (1906-1989), Irish writer
- "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." -- Yogi Berra
- "It ain't over ‘til it's over." -- Yogi Berra
- "If people don't want to come out the ball park, nobody's going to stop them." -- Yogi Berra
- "It's so crowded nobody goes there anymore." (Yogi's explanation for why he stopped going to a favourite restaurant.) -- Yogi Berra
- "What Time Is It? You Mean Now?" -- Yogi Berra
- "Oh, four," he replied, "I couldn't eat eight." (Yogi was asked in a restaurant whether he wanted his pizza cut in four or eight slices.) -- Yogi Berra
- "I really didn't say all the things I said." -- Yogi Berra
- "Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't go to yours." -- Yogi Berra
- "You can observe a lot by watching." -- Yogi Berra
- 'It's deja vu all over again': 27 of Yogi Berra's most memorable 'Yogi-isms'
- "You can work long, hard, and smart, but at Amazon.com you can pick only two out of three." -- Jeff Bezos - (pronounced Bay-zos) (founder and CEO of Amazon.com) (~1975)
- "You can work long, you can work hard, you can work smart, but at Amazon you can't pick only two out of three." -- Jeff Bezos - (pronounced Bay-zos) (founder and CEO of Amazon.com) (~1980)
- "Anyone who brings up 'work-life balance' during a hiring interview at Amazon does not get the job." -- Brad Stone @BloombergBusinessWeek wrote about Jeff Bezos - (pronounced Bay-zos) (founder and CEO of Amazon.com)
- "An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field." --Niels Bohr, Danish physicist
- "A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved." -- Dorothea Brande, see John Dewey
- "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
- "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." -- Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- 'Cheshire Puss,' she began, rather timidly, as she did not at all know whether it would like the name: however, it only grinned a little wider. 'Come, it's pleased so far,' thought Alice, and she went on. 'Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
'I don't much care where—' said Alice.
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.
'—so long as I get somewhere,' Alice added as an explanation.
'Oh, you're sure to do that,' said the Cat, 'if you only walk long enough.'
- "Je ne suis pas difficile. Je me contente du meilleur." -- Winston Churchill??, see Oscar Wilde
- "Attack, don't settle, get off the issue, never apologize" -- Roy Cohn (DJ Trump's mentor)
- "Every man needs five wives: a movie star, a housekeeper, a cook, a good listener, a devoted nurse.
But since ever woman needs five husbands: an intelligent and cultivated companion, an attentive athlete, a financial wizard, a poet, and a handyman who knows how to mend faucets, we might as well be reasonable about it right from the start." -- Alain Delon (French actor)
- "It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." -- W. Edwards Deming
- "More men have become great through practice than by nature." -- Democritus, Ancient Greek philosopher
- "The real Québécois knows what he's after, and that's an independent Quebec in a strong Canada"
"Le vrai Québécois sait qu'est-ce qu'y veut. Pis qu'est-ce qu'y veut, c't'un Québec indépendant, dans un Canada fort "
Yvon Deschamps' monologues were known for their unrelenting irony, and often buried a message that was completely opposite to what the stage character was saying literally.
- "Never complain. Never explain." - (explain = make excuses) -- Benjamin Disraeli
- "A problem is half-solved if properly stated." -- John Dewey, see Dorothea Brande
- "In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative." - President Dwight D. Eisenhower
- "Money isn't everything, according to those who have it." -- Malcolm S. Forbes, American publisher
- "Any color ... so long as it is black" -- (about options for his ~1915 Model-T car) -- attributed to Henry Ford
- "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." -- (about his ~1915 Model-T car) -- attributed to Henry Ford
- “You have a grand gift for silence, Watson. It makes you quite invaluable as a companion.” -- Sherlock Holmes -- (Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle)
- "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." "The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier" -- Sherlock Holmes -- (Sir Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle)
- "Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities." -- Aldous Huxley
- "Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones
- "When the final result is expected to be a compromise, it is often prudent to start from an extreme position." -- John Maynard Keynes
- "Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past." -- Jack Kornfield, A Lamp in the Darkness
- After tasting the wine, Macha summons the waiter: "Elvis. Come here. If I wanted vinegar, I would have ordered french fries. Get me something with a price tag on it. Okay?" - Ray Liotta (as Macha) in the movie Revolver, 2005.
- Christmas Shopping: "The gift giving. Spending money you don't have to give people you don't like stuff they don't want. That's got to stop. All that anxiety over what to get, how much to spend. If I get something for this one, do I have to buy something for that one? The parking. The shopping. The returning. Sometimes I wonder how my assistant does it." - Bill Maher - 2014-11-21
- "Why should I care about posterity? What's posterity ever done for me?" -- Groucho Marx
- "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." -- Abraham H. Maslow
- Have a drink: "Never drink alcohol unless you are celebrating something, upset on something, or if it's a day that ends with the letter Y. And never drink when you're driving." - Helen Mirren
- "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
-- George S. Patton,
U.S. Army general
- "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers
- "Never apologize, never explain. Get it over with and let them howl," -- Edwin Milton Royle. Peace and Quiet: A Novel, 1916
- "Ne reculez pas; n'explquez rien; ne vous excusez jamais. Agissez, et laissez-les se plaindre."
- "Never retreat; never explain; never apologize. Get the job done and let them howl." -- Nellie McClung ??
- See also: Disraeli
- "Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire plus courte." -- Blaise Pascal
- "Not that you lied to me, but that I no longer believe you, has shaken me." -- Nietzsche
- "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers
- "One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important." -- Bertrand Russell
- "When I was a young man, I observed that nine out of 10 things I did were failures. I didn't want to be a failure, so I did 10 times more work."
-- George Bernard Shaw,
- "Life is not about finding yourself; life is about creating yourself." -- Bernard Shaw
- "The more slowly you talk, the more authoritative you sound." -- Mary Ellen Slayter, founder and managing director of Reputation Capital Media Services, writing at RepCapitalMedia.com
- "We may have knowledge of the past but cannot control it; we may control the future but have no knowledge of it." -- Claude Shannon - (polar codes, 5G)
- "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." -- attributed to Socrates by Plato, see Aristotle
- “The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people’s money.” -- Margaret Thatcher
- "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain
- "I would have written you a shorter letter, but I did not have the time." -- Mark Twain?, see Blaise Pascal
- "Even if you're on the right path, if you stand still, you'll be run over." -- Mark Twain
- "Avoid boring people." -- James Watson, the scientist who helped discover DNA
- "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -- Oscar Wilde,
see Winston Churchill
- "Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories" -- comedian Steven Wright
- "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
- "I don't care how much power, brilliance, or energy you have, if you don't harness it and focus it on a specific target and hold it there, you're never going to accomplish as much as your ability warrants." -- Zig Ziglar
- “Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street.” -- Zig Ziglar
- "Have you ever noticed that the less something can be proved, the angrier we get when we argue trying to prove it?" -- ??
- "A successful executive in business is one who can delegate all the responsibility, shift all the blame, and appropriate all the credit." -- ??
- Golf: The only game is against yourself. -- ??
- MicroSpeak - An Unofficial Guide to Microsoft Corporate Lingo (PDF)
- The World
- Why do students fail?...
- Zeitgeist: The Movie, Zeitgeist: Addendum, Zeitgeist: Moving Forward | Lies & Conspiracies? | Recommended by Lori Cohen 2008