- Backup software
- Synchronization software
- CD & DVD burning ...
- Storage & Virtual Storage ...
- USB drives ...
- Backup Software
- See also -- Storage & Virtual Storage ...
- DataNumen Disk Image - Create Disk and Drive Images - $0
- Five cloud sync apps that rise above the rest | TechRepublic - 2013-03-19
- PCMag | ZIFF Davis
- 8 Unlimited Online Backup Plans
- Online Backup Reviewed. - Infomation on the Best Online Backup Providers
- @Backup | Online - Remote Backup Services - Norton/Symantec - ($99/yr 100MB) (free/cheap Internet file storage)
- Backblaze | Online Backup & Data Backup Software | Backblaze - unlimited online (=cloud) data backup - $5/month or $50/year or $95/2years
Carbonite Online Backup - Home Plan - unlimited online (=cloud) data backup for $59/year
- Carbonite (online backup) - Wikipedia - "due to bandwidth restrictions for uploading data, which limit upload to 2 Mbps for the first 200 GB but then to only 100 Kbps once 200 GB had been exceeded, the backup was not unlimited"
- Warning! - Carbonite's Internet connection (when backing up to Carbonite) is very slow. Carbonite thinks 30GB/week upload is fast.
By my calculation (using my own ISP's 60Mbps download speed and 3Mbps upload speed, 3Mbps=0.3MBps): 0.3MB*60seconds*60minutes*24hours*7days = 181440MB/week = 181.4GB/week
(According to my ISJP usage history, I have been able to upload over 30GB/day to other sites.)
Obviously, download speeds (= restoring your backup files) is much faster, perhaps four times faster). This still doesn't seem fast to me.
- Warning! - There are limits to the types of files that will be backed up. Database files will not be backed up (because of data loss when decrypting). Video files must be manually selected.
- Warning - Confusion! - "If you choose not to restore additional backed up data and proceed to resume your backup, any data not restored will be removed from your backup within 30 days." This seems to be saying that if you restore just one or a few files (from your online Carbonite backup), then all of your other backed up files (on Carbonite) will be removed. Really??
- Warning! - Carbonite really slowed down the speed of my system (a Dell Precision T7500 workstation with 12GB RAM).
- "If you move a backed up file to a different location/folder on your internal hard drives, your computer will recognize the file as brand new. Carbonite will also see this as a new file and try to back it up. Consequently, the file will be considered "missing" from the old location, and any versions that were previously backed up from this file at the original location will also be removed from your backup in 30 days." If you forget to mark the files/folders for backup (again), then they won't be backed up.
- Also, it is impossible to keep backups of files/folders that are not part of a current backup set.
- Mirror Image - included in HomePlus Plan - unlimited online (=cloud) backup for $99/year
- Requires a dedicated external USB drive. MirrorImage will format the drive and keep the data in a hidden file. This external drive can not be used for anything else.
- Unlike some others who have complained on various sites, I did not experience any problem when I asked to cancel the account and get a refund. I was asked why I wanted to cancel. I also received an online survey about why I cancelled. The refund was issued promptly.
- Comodo Time Machine - Create Snapshot Backups of Data and Files With Comodo Time Machine - $0
CrashPlan (a Code42 company) - Automatic Online Backup for Home, Business and Enterprise - unlimited online (=cloud) data backup
- $5.99/month or $59.99/year (= $5/month) or $189.99/4years (= $3.96/month) - Individual (1 computer)
- $9.00/month or $149.99/year (= $12.50/month) or $430/4years (= $8.96/month) - Family (2-10 computers)
- Includes continuous backup, multiple backup sets, serious encryption, and local backup support for external and network drives.
- Allows multiple backup sets from each individual machine.
- The only documentation is in the form of FAQs on the site.
- CrashPlan Review & Rating | PCMag.com
- CrashPlan - Backup Software Features Comparison - Online Storage, Data Recovery, Security - CrashPlan
- Product Comparison - CrashPlanPro vs. MozyPro vs. CarbonitePro
- Contacting Support - Code42
- Suppport | CrashPlan Support : User Forum
- how_to [CrashPlan Support Site]
- Adjusting CrashPlan Settings For Memory Usage With Large Backups - Code42 Support
- Adjusting CrashPlan Settings For Memory Usage With Large Backups - Code42 Support - Recommended Solution
- Open the CrashPlan app
- Double-click the CrashPlan logo in the upper-right corner
- Enter the following command, using a value appropriate for the size of your backup selection (for example, 1536 for a 1.5 TB selection):
java mx 1536, restart
java mx 2048, restart
The CrashPlan app closes
- Open the CrashPlan app and sign in
- To see how much memory CrashPlan currently has allocated, open up CrashPlan for me, then double-click the icon in the top right of the application. A help/command window should open. In the line available, enter the following:
then press Enter. This will give you the current memory allocation.
Just keep in mind this is pretty much the ONLY setting that doesn't get retained upon a reinstallation or an adoption, so if you ever need to reinstall CrashPlan or if you get a new device and adopt, you will need to enter this in again.
- If you have backed up 1TB (to CrashPlan), then 1.5GB of RAM is adequate. For 1.5TB, you should allocate 2GB of system memory (RAM).
- DriveImage XML Backup Software - Data Recovery Product - $0
- FBackup - Backup Program Data & Personal Settings with FBackup
- IDrive - ($0/year for 5GB=0.005TB) or (
$60/year $45/year for 1TB storage space)
- InstaBack 2: Instantly and Automatically Back Up Your Data - Downloads by PC Magazine
- Memeo - Simplify Your Digital Life. | Memeo Autobackup, Memeo Software, Memeo Backup - $32-$86
Mozy – Online Data Backup and Storage - $6/month/50GB or $10/month/125GB
- NovaBACKUP Backup Software for DVD, Disk, Tape, Removable and Online Backups - $50
- Paragon Drive Backup: system backup, system restore and hard disk imaging - $40
- Redo - Bare Metal Restore Solution GUI Backup Open Source GPL Recovery
- Second Copy: Secure your data with automatic backup software - $30 - (automatic, compressed, encrypted, to any disk)
- SmartBackup by JAM Software - US$25
- SOS Online Backup | Cloud Backup Software & Solutions from SOS - $80/year/5PCs/50GB or $200/year/5PCs/250GB
- SpiderOak | Online File Sharing & Cloud Backup Software | Private & Secure Data Storage for Business & Home - $10/month/100GB
- SyncBack - Backup your Hard-Drive with SyncBack
- Cloud = online backup
- Synchronization software
- In one-way file synchronization, also called mirroring, updated files are copied from a 'source' location to one or more 'target' locations, but no files are copied back to the source location.
In two-way file synchronization, updated files are copied in both directions, usually with the purpose of keeping the two locations identical to each other.
- Comparison of file synchronization software - Wikipedia
- The Best File Synchronization Software - BackupReview.com
- What's the best free file synchronization software for Windows? - gHacks Tech News
- Allway Sync - $0 or Pro $26 (one-time fee)
- BitTorrent Sync
- FreeFileSync - Is FreeFileSync Better Sync Software Than Microsoft SyncToy? [Windows]
- FreeFileSync | Download FreeFileSync software for free at SourceForge.net
- Best Free Folder Synchronization Utility | Gizmo's Freeware
- Unfortunately it only has very basic filters, no auto sync feature, and no direct support for FTP.
- Caution! FreeFileSync is bundled with unwanted components. Users are advised to take special notice of the options available during install to avoid these extras. See our general advisory page for more information.
- One gotcha - Save your sync folders before you run a sync or it drops them when done.
- Beware FreeFileSync!!! Still loads malware. I declined additional software at installation but it still loaded different files - Smartbar, Vosteram, Getnow, Snapdo, Quickshare, changed all browser settings and registry.
- Installation of the malware OpenCandy.
- GoodSync | File Sync & Backup Software - $30 per computer!!
- Pure Sync: Free Backup and File Synchronization Tool
- SyncBack - Backup your Hard-Drive with SyncBack
- SyncBackPro - 2BrightSparks.com - CDN$75
- Easily backup, synchronize, or restore your files to another drive, FTP server, ZIP file, networked drive, or removable media.
- Syncovery | File sync & backup software
- Purchasing Syncovery Licenses - $100/5computers - Pro Family Pack
- Limited functionality. Unclear about whether real-time monitoring really works. Confusing capabilities. Probably will not do the job the way you want.
- Syncredible Pro | ASCOMP: Windows Software for Backup, Synchronization & Cleaning / PC Optimization
- Free or USD$28
- SyncThing - $0 (or $20 donation)
- SyncToy - Use Microsoft's SyncToy for free and simple backup solution
- Unison (file synchronizer) - Wikipedia
- Transfer over Internet only (i.e. not over LAN). $0 = Open Source
- No longer under development
- Cloning your disk
- Preparation for Backup
- Empty the Recycle Bin
- Delete the browser's Temporary Internet Files
- MSIE > Tools (menu) > Internet Options > General (tab) > Browsing history - Delete (button)
- System Restore applet should be slimmed down
- Right-click on My Computer > Properties > System Restore (tab)
- Uninstall any unnecessary applications
- Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
- Clean up the disk
- Start Menu > Run > CleanMgr